Contact Us_

DSEA, 136 E. Water St. 
Dover, DE 19901
1-866-734-5834 (toll-free)
FAX 302-674-8499

DSEA, 4135 Ogletown-Stanton Rd.
Suite 101 Newark, DE 19713
302-366-8440 (not a toll-free number)
FAX 302-366-0287 

Contact DSEA by Email
DSEA Elected Officers:
Executive Director:

Website Concerns:


Contact DSEA Departments
Instructional Advocacy:
Government Relations:
Member Benefits:

Directory of DSEA Locals


Professional Licensure

Applying for Credentials

Teaching in Delaware requires that an individual hold a valid license and certificate to teach in a public school.  The application for licensure and certification is a two-step process.  Learn about the processes and what is required for each step...

read more

Documentation Guidelines

Providing official documentation of the various documents required for licensure and certification is a key part of the entire process.  Learn more about what constitutes "official", where to send the documents, and what to do if applying for an additional certificate.

read more

Types of Licenses and Certificates

Delaware educators hold one of three types of licenses.  These licenses are the same for each educator and do vary depending on the curriculum focus.  Certification is where the educator receives endorsement to teach a specific subject.  Visit this section to learn more about each type of license and the types of certificates issued.

read more

Choosing an Educator Preparation Program

Simply majoring in Education in college does not mean one is in a educator preparation program.  Programs must be accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.

read more

Forms and Materials

Each application for licensure and certification requires a variety of forms and other supporting materials.  Learn more about what is required, including links to the actual forms, by visiting this section.

read more

Alternative Routes to Certification

Delaware currently has five alternative options for being granted a license and certification if you are applying but do not have student teaching experience.  Learn more about each of the five options and the different documents which each requires.

read more

Professional Licensees

Our public schools have a host of highly-trained educators who provide specialized services beyond what teachers provide in the classroom.  Guidance Counselors, School Nurses, Social Workers, and Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists are licensed and certified using a special set of regulations, specific to their respective position.  Links to the regulations specific to each are provided.

read more


Every individual who pursues an initial license and certification must pass the Praxis I, which stands for the Pre-Professional Skills Tests.  Praxis II tests can provide highly-qualified status, as well as help an individual in their pursuit of additional certification.

read more